NLM UPDATE: April 2020
Dear Prayers Warriors,
It has been far too long since you received communication from NLM. We ask you to pardon us. We know you have been praying for us and we are more than grateful.
Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will give you strength, and for sure I will help you. Yes, I will hold you up with My right hand that is right and good.
Psalm 91: 1-4 He who lives in the safe place of the Most High will be in the shadow of the All-powerful. 2 I will say to the Lord, “You are my safe and strong place, my God, in Whom I trust.” 3 For it is He Who takes you away from the trap, and from the killing sickness. 4 He will cover you with His wings. And under His wings you will be safe. He is faithful like a safe-covering and a strong wall.
UPDATE from the Nagles
By Ilene Nagle
February 7th, 2020 I (Ilene) was diagnosed with a large tumor in my left lung. We did not know the diagnosis or plan of treatment until March 9th. Non-small cell carcinoma, a tumor the size of a softball, the most common of lung cancers. I have never smoked. In the 1980’s I was exposed heavily to second-hand smoke in home visits when I worked in home health, that is all.
March 16th, I went through the first chemotherapy infusion. Side effects of the medications lasted 10 days. I am told this will happen with each infusion.
The goal of the chemotherapies is to shrink the tumor to an operable size...if my body does not reject the chemotherapy, then I will go to surgery and have the affected lobe of the left lung removed. Dr. Schmidt told us that there is a good chance the surgery could be a cure. The first lab test results one week after the infusion, showed I had no rejection symptoms.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTERCESSION
1. That my body does not reject the ‘poisons of chemotherapy’
2. That our courage and hope will never wane
3. For Don. He is healing well and now become my caregiver.
Finally the three couples, Dwight and Sarah Hires, Mike and Cecelia Palm, and Dale and Carol Crumrine have returned to Papalote a couple of weeks ago. By then the COVID-19 outbreak in the US was in full swing. Mexico up until now has not seen the same outbreak, only in Mexico City. A few in Baja CA.
The team there decided to stay in Papalote and assist as they could. The same restrictions of movement are nationally in Mexico as in the US. House-bound. Few people working. Churches are closed, but the pastors are sending devotionals, music, scriptures and encouragement through Facebook, and WhatsApp.
The COVID-19 outbreak was preceded by a very wet flood-threatening season and many workers were laid off. Food has been available but recently items such as eggs have skyrocketed and other foods are becoming more scarce. Eggs are the primary source of protein.
The mission pastoral team and wives as well as the Baja Director, met last week to discuss preparing a quarantine area at the church for any family members in the three churches that would need care.
Ramon was strong in saying that the American team could not participate in hand’s on care but could participate in other areas, due to age and health risks. Policy and safety procedures are in progress. Mexico uses mostly US standards. Mexico is not known for having PPE, nor testing equipment. This will be a challenge.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTERCESSION AND PARTICIPATION
1. Pray that the Lord will greatly multiply the Compassion Fund. Most of the expenses for this preparation, care of anticipated patients, medications and provisions for feeding children and unemployed families, come from NLM Compassion Funds.
2. Careful precautions by our NLM staff that are in Papalote, and that the Lord would spare them by his grace and mercy from this plague.
3. Pray for the church staff as they coordinate as a team that they 1) will serve in unity 2) see miraculous healings, physical and spiritual 3) each man and women will be looking to glorify only Jesus in all that they do.
4. Hold up the leaders and pastors up to God. Attacks are greater for them.
The Coronavirus has begun in a few areas of Oaxaca, mostly in the north. So far there are no cases in Mitla (Rev. Diego, Ramon Ross Jr.), in Xaaga (Jesus and Rev. Marisol) nor in Barrio de Ceniza (Snra. Alejandra) nor in Chalcatongo (Rev. Senen). The greater populated area of Oaxaca, Oaxaca the capital has a few cases. Oaxaca, OX also has the only airport which lends it a larger risk area. House quarantines are in place. Pastor Diego's messages are being sent out over the radio in both Spanish and Zapoteco. Messages of hope.
The town of Mitla is located close to the city of Oaxaca. The Mitla Church Koinonia is also preparing ways they can help their neighbors. The vast majority of families in Mitla are dependent upon tourists to purchase the clothing and other items they make with their looms. There are no tourists.
Soon, the issues of fear and hunger will be near the top. For the moment, as the coronavirus has not arrived in Mitla nor Xaaga, the illness has not been a factor. Fear dominates.
Currently Rev. Diego and his church in Mitla have begun a food bank for the community.
(The signs read - "If you can, give. If you lack, take.")
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTERCESSION AND PARTICIPATION
1. Compassion funds will be needed soon for food and feeding the children and families of unemployed Oaxaca. The churches are discussing what plans they can make to help in other areas as well.
2. Both Senen and Bernardita in Chalcatongo and not well physically. Please pray for their health. They will be making monthly trips to a Oaxaca
3. The ministry pickup that Senen has been driving since 2009 is leaking oil and nearly dead. We need to purchase him a pickup that will also last another 11 years. The pickups in fairly good condition are running about $8000. All purchases go through a trusted mechanic's inspection.
4. New families and new believers are coming to Christ. Praise the Lord.
5. Hold the leaders and pastors up to God. Attacks are greater for them.
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES TO FURTHER ASSIST NLM
Amazon will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. Northern Light Ministries is listed on the charitable organization list. Many of us are using Amazon for daily needs.
** Do not use the amazon.com address to get this benefit for NLM
1. Each time you log in to purchase from Amazon you log in:
b. https://smile.amazon.com (for those who are not prime members)
c. Choose the charity of your choice (Northern Light Ministries)
d. Continue shopping. Amazon will send the donation directly to NLM
Some of you are employed by larger companies that have matching funds for charitable organizations. You will need to investigate if your employer has that kind of opportunity. The company will investigate NLM for authentication. We send all information they request. It is a wonderful gift that your company can give in your name.
May our Lord and Jesus Christ be with us all over the next months as we face the many battles of health, needs of others, the desperate work of the enemy attempting to instill disunity among the brothers, and preventing open hearts from seeking HOPE and SALVATION.
Ephesians 6:10-13 New King James Version (NKJV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [c]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Servants sent by God and His people. Sent to Partner, Prepare, Send and Serve
Dr. Don Nagle and Ilene
Rev. Ramon Ross Rubio and Esther
Rev. Dwight Hires and Sarah
Dale and Carol Crumrine
Mike and Cecilia Palm
THANK YOU FOR YOUR FAITHFUL GIVING AND PRAYERS. We have heard of mission groups who may not survive this economic downfall. We know God is in control and He will provide from His riches in Glory. We have seen it before...and we will see it again.